Friday, June 21, 2013

The Urban Alphabet Project

Good Morning and happy Friday!  TGIF!!!!!!  Ever since I started working again I'm SO glad when Friday comes.  Not only does it mean I get to spend quality time with my family but I also get to stay up late sewing, which is next to impossible to do during the week days when you have to be to work by 7:30 am everyday.  Needless to say, it's been a little hard to keep my momentum going during the week because after I put my son to bed I only have a couple of hours to work on a project.  There are many nights when all I do is crash on the couch and pass out!  Despite the slow down I'm still moving forward and have several projects on the horizon, including several clothing projects.

STAY TUNE...

This week I want to talk about a project I was commissioned to do for my best friend Liz.  When she was pregnant with her third daughter I wanted to get something nice for the new baby.  I realized I had never made anything for Liz or her family!  Actually that's not really true.  The truth is, a quilt I was making for her daughters eventually turned into a UFO (unfinished object).  Now, I have every intention of finishing that quilt... but... in the meantime I made a couple of very cute oneies for the new baby.  I used patterns from Sublime Stitching and they looked something like this:


This was my son when he was a wee little one!

I used these patterns several times and I've never been disappointed and Liz really liked them too; however, when she recently commissioned me to make several oneies for her sister, I thought I would try something a little different...

I'm beginning to realize I'm pretty preoccupied with illustrated alphabets.  I'm currently working on an alphabet banner for my son, the UFO I was making for Liz's kids was an alphabet red work quilt, and I'm constantly thinking of new ideas.  One in particular came in handy for Liz's baby gift.  For some time now I've wanted to develop my own line of embroidery patterns which included a "urban" alphabet.  Liz's gift gave me the opportunity to test out some new designs.  I was pretty happy with the way they turned out.

What do you think?

This is called the "drizzle" stitch.









a... is for afro



b... is for building





c... is for cab


To transfer the designs I used the same process from the name tag and cathedral windows projects.  In order to achieve fine detail I used a size 12 pearl cotton and for less detailed work I used a size 8.  My friend loved what I did for her so much that she and her husband had a brainstorming session to think up new letters.  Out of all the ideas they threw at me I loved "m... is for manhole" the most!  Nothing says urban living like steamy vapor forcing its way from the depths beneath a city to an early frosty morning.  Only the manhole cover keeps whatever is brewing at bay.

I will soon be making these and other patterns available for sale.  So make sure you keep it on your radar!!!!  Have a good weekend



No comments:

Post a Comment