Thursday, April 4, 2013

Diamonds are Forever- Part 2

Good Morning all!

It's been a VERY crazy couple of weeks for me.  Life was moving right along when I was hit with a horribly nasty stomach virus.  Would not wish it on my worst enemy!  I was out of commission for three days and didn't actually eat until the fourth day.  It took me the rest of the following week to feel like my ol' self.  The up side... I lost five pounds.  Although honestly, there has to be a better way to loose winter weight!  Since coming up for air, I've continued to work on the Diamonds are Forever quilt and I have to say I'm lovin' it!  Here is what I've completed so far...


In the first part of this series I discussed my initial design processes and how my original idea morphed into something completely different.  Although my design did not start out in a traditional sense, I have tried to follow standard quilting "rules" with very little deviation.  Surprisingly it's been a pretty easy exercise and I don't say that lightly because I am notorious for bending, breaking, and flat out ignoring quilting rules.  Typically I would not concern myself with measurements or making sure every block is perfectly square.  I tend to get an idea and execute it by plowing through everything that has nothing to do with esthetics.  You can't do that when designing a quilt you hope others will be able to replicate; however, I haven't completely exorcised my demons!  I kept one or two elements from my own quirky nature.

For instances, as a quilter living on a budget I'm always looking for ways to cut costs.  


 I found this lovely packet of fabric from Sam's Club for less than $14 for 12 towels!  A great bargain when you think about it because a packet of 4 towels costs a good $10 at places like Bed Bath and Beyond...  Over the years I've found flour sack towels come in handy for all sorts of craft projects.  I use them for embroidery and quilting. They work great for foundation quilting which is exactly what I'm using them for in this project.


I cut the towels into the various sized blocks needed for the project, which included 6 1/2 and 3 1/2 inches.  Now this is a great way to save money but I don't think this is a good tip for beginners.  Flour sacks are VERY flimsy and not tightly woven.  All of which makes it very hard to cut squares evenly.  Especially if you are the type of person where everything must be perfect, this is NOT the fabric for you.  The upside though is that because the fabric is very light it does not add a lot of bulk to your finished project; however,  when in doubt it's best to stick with quilter's muslin!

Another little rule I've played fast and loose with is sewing on the 1/4 inch line.  Okay, before you get your panties in a bunch, let me just say all the blocks were sewn together a 1/4 inch; however, the strips on the blocks is another matter.  All I can say for myself is that I needed my freedom some where in this process!  Yet I did it in such a way that would not hinder others one way or the other.


I pinned my 1 1/2 inch strips onto the foundation square like everyone else would...


But instead of sewing a 1/4 inch I tended to sew a little closer to the edge which made a wider strip.  If you did sew the strips together the standard way it just means you'll end up with one or two more strips on a block.

 
As you can see the strips were a little wider but it still has the same effect.  And just to prove that I'm not a complete heathen, here's an example of what the blocks looked like once they are sewn together on the 1/4 inch line.

So far, I'm lovin' this entire process.  It's reaffirmed for me that I have a fundamental love and respect for piecing.  I've also been toying with fabric values, which has been rather difficult for me because I realized I gravitate toward medium value fabrics.  Sometimes I get it right and it looks great when I do, and sometimes not.  We can't all be perfect all of the time!

With that in mind, I'll leave you with this parting image...


This is just one of the tables in my sewing room covered with the guts of this project.  I am NOT perfect, but man I sure do love to quilt none-the-less!!!  Make sure to look out for the next installment of... Diamonds are Forever!

1 comment:

  1. This is gorgeous, and it will surely become an heirloom for your family.

    ReplyDelete