Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Banner for Sebastian - Part One


As you all know by now I've never been to strictly play by the rules when it comes to my work.  I like to mix things up and use non-traditional materials for various reasons.  Sometimes it's to save money (most times really) and other times for convenience, and then there are the times I happen to come across something that combines the two.  One such product came my way not too long ago when I was out shopping with my mother.  I was in one of my favorite stores, Anthropologie, in the sales area.  In one of the accessory bins was a few rolls of cloth.  I took a closer look and realized they were disposable cloth napkins.  They were on sale for a price I could not resist!  I knew the moment I saw them I would use them for some sort of quilt project.  I mean how could I not?!  They were perfectly square with finished edges and twenty on a roll!

Once I got home I wanted to find out a little more about the company behind my new napkins and what other products they offered.  What I found was very interesting.  Mydrap originated in Spain as a family owned textile business; however, in the 1990s the industry lost momentum and it was necessary to move in a different direction.  That's when the idea of producing linens for the hospitality industry was pursued.  From there they expanded to included common households and the consumer market.  They carry various sized napkins and placemats in 20 different colors and 5 patterns.  Each napkin and placemat is a perforated 100% cotton piece of fabric (or linen).  Here's what they look like:



As you can see they really are practically ideal for quilting and crafting.  Especially for people with arthritis or other hand issues.  Plus they limit cutting time since the napkins are perfectly square.  They come in beautiful bold colors and are very easy to work with.

Here's how I've been using them:















These are panels from the alphabet banner I'm making for my son's (Sebastian) bedroom.  Each panel is made from a Mydrap luncheon napkin.  I did not have to prep (like adding interfacing) and I will not have to do anything to the edges to finish them off because they are designed not to unravel.  They really are just a great product!



Make sure to check them out at their website where you can purchase individual rolls or buy wholesale.  You can also use the store locator to find stores near you that carry Mydrap.  Most napkin rolls come in a package of 20 and depending on their size the prices range from $27 to $44 (reflects linen placemats).  The cotton cocktail napkins are a pretty good deal since they come 50 to a roll for $27 and are sized 4.3" x 4.3".

I'm really just crazy about this product!  Now, if only I could get them to make quilting fabric on a roll in standard quilting sizes (4.5"x 4.5", 6.5"x 6.5", etc.)...  One can dream!

Keep checking back for more about this really fun and surprisingly easy alphabet banner!

Till then, happy crafting!

1 comment:

  1. Great find. I love that the edges are finished, and you don't have to worry about the edges being perfect because they already are. The alphabet will be fun in his room.

    ReplyDelete