Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Things...



Happy Wednesday folks!

Depending on what part of the world you're in, you might be sitting waiting for Spring to happen.  It came for a brief time on Saturday here in Lexington.  Then, the deluge hit us and the rain didn't stop until Monday afternoon and with it the cold weather came back.  Being cooped up in the house gave me an opportunity to take inventory of my patterns and I thought to keep the ball rolling and continue my ode to vintage patterns why not share a few I've purchased and/or found and highlighted over the years.  Sounds like a good plan to me.  Some of these I've never seen before and some I have, but what ever the case I think they're all gems!  Now enough talk!  Let the pageantry begin...

I love the pattern!  When I saw it for the first time on Etsy, I knew it was like nothing I had ever seen before.  Primarily because I see this dress in some sort of double knit.  Whether ponte knit or true wool double knit, it would just be simply gorgeous!!!  Of course from the 1940s, this pattern also looks like it could have been from the 80s as well.  It just seems timeless to me.
I purchased this pattern without realizing the bodice with the peplum was not detachable.  Although I'm sure it would not be too difficult to draft the back portion.  Anyone have ideas?
I purchased this little gem from a local antique store that also sells cut flowers!  What a combination!  Again, I fell in love with this pattern as soon as I saw it but I didn't realize it was missing a couple of pattern pieces.  It's still a great design and the back details are amazing!  Look at the two sets of off center buttons.
This dress, from the 1930s, is seemingly simple but the instructions require bound buttonholes in a contrasting color.  It's all in the details that can set a dress off just right!
 

 It's true, this Du Barry pattern does look sort of like the red version of the dress worn by Judy Garland in Wizard of OZ.  Sort of, because she was actually wearing a type of jumper or pinafore.  Actually, now that I'm looking at it, it doesn't look anything like that Du Barry pattern.  Never mind!  Any hooo... although I'm not a big fan of large shoulders I do like the sleeveless version of this dress.  It would make a cute summer dress!


This little number from the 1930s is pure delight!  I even found the most wonderful fabric to use for it.  A red and white cotton/silk blend with a herringbone design.  Very very classy!
I really liked the way this dress looked and I love the wrap effect.  If you check out my Pinterest board "Patterns I Love" you'll see other wrap pattern dresses I love.
This would be great in a wool gauze!
My last two picks are both from the 1960s and lend themselves to either a ponte blend or  wool double knit.  I particularly like the Butterick pattern because there is something so modern about the cut and freedom it affords.  It looks as if they're wearing very long sweatshirts belted.  Very soft and comfortable!


As everyone knows, who follow me on Etsy, I have a HUGE favorites list.  Depending on what has peaked my interest you'll find running themes on it.  There might be several fabric swatches, antique boxes, jewelry, whatever I think is fabulous!  For instances, I'm thinking about getting a pair of cat's eye glasses and there are several versions of that style on my list right now; however, vintage patterns out weight everything else on my list by far.  If you are on Etsy you can find me and my list under "Kim Dixon from Lexington, KY".  Or to get a glimpse of my choice picks and racy commentary find my board "Patterns I Love" on Pinterest; however, if you're really not in the "know" and are not on Etsy or Pinterest then check out our new Facebook page!

Happy sewing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment