Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Quilting Retreat, Quilting Treat... What Fun!

It's another grey May day here in Lexington and I've finally gotten my thoughts together about all the happy events in April!  Several posts ago I talked about the name tag I made in preparation for a retreat I took with my mother.  Well I went on that retreat and had an absolutely wonderful time, and now I'm just getting around to writing about it and sharing some pictures!  I know what you must be thinking... "Ahhh Kim, what the hoohay!  That was back at the beginning of April and now it's MAY!..." I know, I know, I know but sometimes you gotta do the livin' before you start the givin' (I just made that up and I kind of like it!).

Anyhoo, the retreat was called "Workt by Hand" and was taught by some very stellar teachers including Sue Spargo.  I was lucky enough to join the group during its 10th anniversary and after ten years it was a pretty well oiled machine, meaning: there was no confusion, everyone pretty much knew what they were about which made for a relaxing and creative environment.  The focus for this year's retreat was all about texture.  Using textural things and creating it for our art work.  In order to help us hone our energies concerning that purpose we were give very broad parameters: circles.  We were to create circles out of fabric, thread, and found objects.  They gave us background fabric and turned us loose!

To be honest, I came up with an idea but now I'm not so crazy about it.  Despite my current misgivings my mother and I were truly inspired by the women who surrounded us.  I learned quite a bit and really appreciated the creative intensity everyone contributed to the retreat but the best part was making new friends.  Can't wait until next year!

my mom and Sue

 Here's what I did:


Like everything I touch there's always a modicum of chaos!  I used the back of a cardboard folder to make circle templates.


Here's a close up of one of the circle templates.  I enclosed the fabric around the template by making basting stitches around the edges that I could then gather and tie off.


I used freezer paper as a guide to cut out my circles.


These are just some of the threads I thought about using for my project.  They are also just a sample of the wonderful embellishments that were available to us at the retreat!  Here's what I came up with:


My initial idea was to have various sized circles (of wool and cotton) building upon one another and simulating movement.  The first line of circles would move one way, the second line would move in the opposite direction, etc.  As I worked out the layout I realized the whole plan was not working!  I don't know why my ideas are so impractical and complicated sometimes.  All I can do is start over and try again.  My dilemma: what to do with all those circles?????  That IS the question!  

Stay tune for further developments!...  Same Bat time, same Bat channel (or blog... you get the point)!

No comments:

Post a Comment